Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My Sister's Keeper week 3 post A

Vocab
1.emesis (pg. 59)- noun, the act of vomiting
2.metastasized (pg. 69)- verb, to spread to other parts of the body

Figurative Language

1. " It feels like a fist in my gut, now that it's here and happening" (pg.52) This is a literary element because it is comparing how she feels to having a fist in her gut while using the word like.
2." She's got a few acquintances,sure, but mostly when they come over they look like they're serving out a sentence, and sit on the edge of Kate's bed counting down the minutes until they can leave and thank God this didn't happen to them"( pg. 57) This is a example of a simile because it is comparing how when people come to see Kate they look like they do not want to be there and they compare this using the word like.
3." To the legions of childeren with pink emesis basins tucked beneath their arms like teddy bears-these people have all been here before us, and there's safety in numbers" (pg.59) This is a example of a simile because it is comparing something while using the word like.

Quote
"I say, when what I really want to tell him is to pick up that baby of his and hold her tight, to set the moon on the edge of her crib and to hang her name up in stars so that she never, ever does to him what I have done to my parents" (pg.53) I thought this quote was cool because Anna said this when she walked by a new born baby and her father. The signifigance of this quote is that even though Anna does not like the way her parents treat her she still wishs that she was nicer to them. I think it is really cool how Anna is so mature and just by seeing something which some might just think of as a cute new baby she thinks way more then that.

Theme
I think the theme for this part that I read is live your life to the fullest.

No comments: